Congratulations to the Kuehn Lab!
For winning this year’s Gingerbread House Competition, and congratulation to all the participants for their beautiful masterpieces!
Gingerbread House Competition!
Sign up your lab!
The first issue of our newsletter is out!
Check out important announcements!
We have new Council members!
Head over to our Meet your council members page to meet the new student coordinators for this Academic Year. Don’t hesitate to email us with questions on how to get involved, concerns, or ideas you might have that the BGSC could help out with!
Join us this Friday at 4:00pm at the Nan Duke patio for our monthly departmental happy hour! A special fruity punch will be served!
Don’t miss it!
UPCOMING OUTREACH EVENTS – SPRING 2018!
Thanks to all who volunteered with last semester’s events (see the fun pictures here)!
The following are upcoming events for this Spring semester. All these a great way to contribute to the future of Science! Consider volunteering for 1 or all!
Sign up by adding your name to this google doc!
Saturday April 14th (1:30pm – 3:30pm) – Duke Alumni Weekend – FFSC Building, Duke
- Slime-making station for kids!
Saturday April 21st (morning) – Lakewood Montessori
- ~50 min science presentations to 8th graders together with the Chemistry Department
- We can coordinate carpool!
~ April 25th – DNA Day at school in Durham
- Talk to kids from a range of backgrounds one-on-one about science research and why it is so cool! (quoting Emily McFadden!)
- More info here.
- Depending on how many people are interested we can hold short info sessions to coordinate and organize things!
Friday June 22nd (9am – 10am) Action Camp for Middle School Girls – FFSC Building, Duke
- More details to come!
ALSO! There is the 5K in Chapel Hill for DNA Day on May 19! Click here for more info.
- Let’s go represent the Duke Biochemistry Department! (Thanks to Emily too for this awesome suggestion!)
If you have any questions, email me at email@example.com!
Hope to see everyone there!
WE SHALL BE MEETING SOON!
UPCOMING VOLUNTEERING EVENT!
It goes from 4:30pm-9pm and they provide us with dinner (Let’s meet around 4:15pm outside of the museum!)
December 13th : Santa Train
– Helping with crafts and related activities (including a ‘Science of Santa’ activity!)
ANNUAL GINGERBREAD HOUSE COMPETITION
Supplies will be delivered to your lab on Monday, December 4th!
CALL FOR CREATIVITY!
UPCOMING VOLUNTEERING OPPORTUNITIES!
First year party @ 6:30 PM on September 9th
Join us for our first meeting on Monday August 28, 2017!
Here is our proposed agenda!
- Welcome the new class of first years and let them know about all the exciting
social events coming up this fall: the first-year party, campout and retreat.
- Unveil our new and improved website where people can find meeting minutes
and scheduled events.
- Go over possible volunteer options for the year and get a feel for what events
people are interested in participating in.
- Discuss what issues are the most important to the student body and set goals for
the BGSC for the year. We have some ideas, but would love to hear from everyone
about how they think we could improve the department.
2016 ACADEMIC YEAR RECAP:
It was an exciting first year for the Biochemistry Graduate Student Council, with your help we were able to:
- Get departmental funding for gym memberships
- Increase parking outside the Nanaline Duke Building
- Sponsor a pizza dinner for Biochem students at Duke campout
- Volunteer in various outreach activities at Duke
- Organize a March for Science sign-making party
- Have our first ever gingerbread house building competition
- Enjoy an end of the year Summer BBQ!